North

Tlicho Gov't increases ownership in Ventures West trucking company

The Tlicho Government is increasing its ownership of the Ventures West Transport trucking company in the N.W.T., upping its ownership stake to 90 per cent.

Tlicho Investment Corp will own 90%, Denesoline Corp 10%, making Ventures West completely aboriginal-owned

The Tlicho Government is increasing its ownership of the Ventures West Transport trucking company in the N.W.T., upping its ownership stake to 90 per cent. (CBC)

The Tlicho Government is increasing its ownership of the Ventures West Transport trucking company in the N.W.T.

The government-owned Tlicho Investment Corporation will sign a deal Wednesday upping its ownership to 90 per cent from 60 per cent. Lutsel K'e's Denesoline Corporation owns the other 10 per cent of Ventures West. Wednesday's deal will make it a completely aboriginal-owned company.

The Tlicho Investment Corporation is buying its extra stake from Glenn Bauer, one of Ventures West's founders.

A Ventures West truck heads out on the Tibbitt to Contwoyto ice road to the diamond mines. On Wednesday, Tlicho Investment Corporation will sign a deal to own 90 per cent of the company. Lutsel K'e's Denesoline Corporation owns the other 10 per cent. (CBC)

Ventures West has been a big earner for the Tlicho, generating half of the investment corporation's revenue. The company has hauled bulk fuel to all three of the territory's diamond mines via the Tibbitt to Contwoyto ice road.

But in 2014 the company lost a fuel supply contract with one of the mines, Diavik, causing the investment corporation's share of money from that contract to drop by $1.7 million from the previous year.

Since then, the company has won a contract to haul liquefied natural gas from Alberta and B.C. to Inuvik via the Dempster Highway.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?

now