Remote starter cause of Iqaluit car fire

Firefighters say starter triggered erruption of flames in vehicle
The interior of a four-door white Pontiac Grand Am was gutted by fire Wednesday morning in Iqaluit. (Grant Linton/CBC)

Fire officials believe a remote starter caused a car fire in Iqaluit Wednesday. 

The four-door white Pontiac Grand Am caught fire in front of the Arctic Hotel at about noon. The blaze gutted its interior.

Officials say their investigation indicates the fire began when the owner started the car using a remote starter. They say that triggered an electrical fire that grew inside the car.

A passerby tried to control the fire using a fire extinguisher.

Emergency crews closed the road in front of the hotel while firefighters extinguished the blaze.