Pilot who died in Yukon crash was from Yellowknife

The pilot who died in the Yukon helicopter crash earlier this week was Paul Rosset, 56, from Yellowknife. Investigators who are looking into the cause the crash will consider if weather played a part.

Paul Rosset, 56, worked for Horizon Helicopters

The helicopter crashed close to Nares Lake in southwestern Yukon Tuesday afternoon. (Google Maps)

The helicopter pilot who died in a crash in Yukon earlier this week was from Yellowknife.

The Yukon Coroner Service confirmed that Paul Rosset, 56, died in the July 10 crash.

Rosset was flying a R44 Raven II craft which was owned by Horizon Helicopters. The helicopter crashed on the southeast slope of Nares Mountain in southwestern Yukon Tuesday afternoon.

The territorial government had hired the helicopter to take two researchers on a grizzly bear survey. One of the researchers was badly hurt with spinal injuries and medevaced to Vancouver. The other researcher was not seriously injured. Neither have been named.

Rosset was originally from Manitoba. He worked for many years as a captain with Air Tindi in Yellowknife.

"He was a patient, calm guy who had great advice," said pilot Jeffrey Bowden, who flew with Rosset.

"It was a pleasure to have learned from him as a brand-new Twin Otter pilot. No matter what you did, he was there to coach you through. You couldn't disappoint him."

Joe McBryan of Buffalo Airways met Rosset 20 years ago. He called Rosset a "Manitoba farm boy" who was one of the hardest workers he knew.

"He was very dedicated to the industry and of course, he'll be totally missed by the industry because of his contribution to it and the amount of flying he did in the north to a lot of people," said McBryan. "It's going to be a shocker for Yellowknife."

Wind may have played part in crash

The cause of the crash is yet to be determined, but investigators are considering if weather played a part.

The southwest part of the territory was buffeted by high winds at the time of the crash.

Carcross, Yukon, RCMP Cpl. Rob Morin said the winds were heavy, even by local standards.

"Carcross is kind of known for being a windy spot within the Yukon. I wouldn't say the winds are always as heavy as they were yesterday, but it is a very windy area," said Morin.

However, Morin would not speculate if those winds played a part in the crash.

The Transportation Safety Board will look at the weather, along with the condition of the aircraft and the actions of the pilot as part of its investigation.