No suspects yet in killing of John Wifladt: Yellowknife RCMP

The unsolved homicide of John Wifladt in a Yellowknife apartment in December has left his family fearing for their safety.

'John ... didn't deserve this,' says victim's sister

John Wifladt, 39, and another man, Colin Digness, were found injured in an apartment on the third floor of Sunridge Place on 51 Avenue in December. Wifladt later died of his injuries. RCMP have no suspects in the case. (Submitted by Heather Poluk)

The unsolved homicide of John Wifladt in a Yellowknife apartment in December has left his family fearing for their safety.

Wifladt, 39, was one of two men found seriously injured on Dec. 14 in the Sunridge Place apartments. He died later in hospital. Wifladt's friend Colin Digness, 41, was also found injured in the apartment.

Digness is now home, but his brother, Louis Mandeville, says he may lose an eye and doesn't remember the events of that night.

RCMP say there's an ongoing analysis of forensic evidence collected at the crime scene. They say they haven't ruled out the possibility that a third party was involved.

No suspect has been identified and no arrests have been made.

In a news release this week, RCMP stated that "while the investigation is continuing, the public should remain vigilant and keep their personal safety in mind."

'A very kind, gentle man'

Heather Poluk, Wifladt's younger sister, says rumours abound about what happened that night and each one her family hears re-victimizes them.

Poluk lives in Calgary, but says as long as the person responsible is still at large, she fears for the safety of her family in Yellowknife. 

"I can't imagine what this person is capable of, and how they can hurt others."

The eldest of four siblings, Wifladt was a respected employee at Diavik and owned his own home in Yellowknife.

"John was a person who didn't deserve this," Poluk says. "I think he's someone that we aspire to be. He's a good man. And this isn't supposed to happen to good men."

Poluk won't speak about her brother's injuries, saying she doesn't want to interfere with the police investigation.

She says he'll be remembered by many for his love of playing the guitar and his kind nature.

"My brother was a very kind, gentle man. I can't imagine why someone would hurt my brother in such a horrific manner." 

Sgt. Eric Lane, head of G Division's Major Crime Unit, says police urge anyone with information about the incident to come forward "to bring closure to the families and communities."