No evidence Ross River, Yukon, man killed by bear: conservation officers

Shane Glada had not been seen since last week. Ross River residents feared a grizzly bear may have attacked the young man, but Yukon conservation officers say there is no evidence of a wildlife attack 'at this point.'

Body of Shane Glada was discovered Sunday in a ravine; locals feared bear attack

There is currently no evidence to suggest that a man found dead in Ross River, Yukon, was killed by wildlife, say Yukon conservation officers. 

The body of a Shane Glada, 22, was discovered in the small community on Sunday. Following the incident, some people said they were worried the man was killed by a grizzly bear.

Conservation officers and RCMP examined evidence at the scene and surrounding area and "did not discover any sign of bear or other wildlife activity," says a statement issued by Environment Yukon.

Conservation officers installed trail cameras in the area and Environment Yukon says they will continue to investigate. 

Glada's body found metres from houses 

Glada hadn't been seen since last week. His uncle, Gordon Peter, says he believes Glada may have been visiting people.

Peter says his son found Glada's body yesterday afternoon in a ravine behind the community, just metres away from houses. 

Some residents say a bear has been hanging around the community for the past few weeks. Peter says last week a resident was chased by a grizzly bear, but was able to get away. 

Minnie Besner says people in the community are concerned.

"The mothers and people are really worried about the kids right now," Besner says.

She says emails have been circulating around the community, asking people to keep their children at home and inside. 

Cause and manner of death undetermined, coroner says

The Yukon Coroners Service says it's investigating with the help of the RCMP and conservation officers.

"The cause and manner of death is currently undetermined," said Chief Coroner Kirsten Macdonald.

"At this point in the investigation, it would be irresponsible to speculate on cause of death until an autopsy can be performed and all details of the circumstances are confirmed through the proper investigative channels."

Macdonald says the body has been transported to Whitehorse and will go to Vancouver for an autopsy.