2 residents escape Inuvik house fire thanks to 'fast thinking and quick actions'
Inuvik Fire Department received call at around 5 a.m. Saturday morning
A fire at an Inuvik home over the weekend is the first major blaze to occur in the town this winter.
Cynthia Hammond, director of protective services for the Town of Inuvik, said the fire department received the call at about 5 a.m. Saturday.
She said two occupants escaped the Bonnetplume Road home thanks to "the fast thinking and quick actions of the husband."
She said once the firefighters arrived, they saw the fire and heavy smoke coming from the northern side of the building.
"Very strong winds and the fire conditions presented some challenges," said Hammond.
However, she said firefighters were able to prevent the fire from spreading.
Hammond said it was about an hour before "we began our overhaul and salvage operations."
About 18 firefighters, a team from Advanced Medical Solutions (AMS), Northwest Power Corporation, Inuvik gas and the Town of Inuvik Public Works were at the scene.
Hammond said although there is a lot of smoke damage, the structure is still standing and many valuables and portions of the house are salvageable.
She said the two residents of the house are currently being supported by friends and family.
The fire marshal is investigating the fire, although there is nothing to indicate it is suspicious at this point, said Hammond.
She advises all homeowners make sure they have operational smoke alarms, and two paths of escape out of their buildings in case of a fire.