Hay River teens save man from house fire
RCMP in Hay River, N.W.T., are crediting two teenage boys with saving a man from a house fire over the weekend.
Scott Heron, 18, and Brendan Look, 17, were walking past Porrit Place early Saturday night when they noticed flames coming from the stove of a residence..
The teens said they banged on the door of the house but nobody answered. Look said they then decided to enter the house to make sure it was empty.
"It was pretty scary and, like, I don't know what I was doing. It was just like off-the-spot spontaneous," Look told CBC News on Monday.
"The first thing we did was went straight to the stove fire, put it out, try to look for, like, other people inside. It was a bit smoky [and] it wasn't clear enough to see anyone."
Man found on couch
Heron said he and Look searched through the smoke-filled house and eventually found a man on the couch.
"I was about to run out because I couldn't really breathe in there, so I just covered my face," Heron said.
"We didn't even notice that there was like some guy who was passed out … on the couch. We couldn't see because it was so smoky."
Heron said a neighbour was helping them out by this time, and they dragged the man outside.
In a release, RCMP said the actions of Heron and Look prevented the stove fire from spreading to the rest of the house.
Police say no foul play was suspected in Saturday's house fire.