Fire destroys Baker Lake business
Nearby houses evacuated Tuesday evening
A fire broke out at Baker Lake Contracting & Supplies in Baker Lake, Nunavut, around 6 p.m. Tuesday.
The fire reportedly started in the company garage and spread to the store and offices.
There were reports of considerable smoke, and some explosions, possibly from propane tanks stored on site.
Houses in the area were evacuated. Hamlet crew and firefighters were able to bring the fire under control around midnight.
Baker Lake Contracting & Supplies has been owned and operated by Joyce and Al Lahure for more than 25 years. They also run a store called Al Mart.
RCMP spokesperson Jimmy Akavak said police are treating the fire as an accident.
"Fortunately, nobody was hurt," he said. "Unfortunately, it's a total loss of the building and whatever was in the building."
Akavak said the fire likely started while a vehicle was being repaired, but added that anyone with information should contact the detachment.