North

Carbon monoxide poisoning caused Yukon deaths, says coroner

Carbon monoxide poisoning is the cause of death for three of the five people who died in a Whitehorse home in January, the coroner has confirmed. Toxicology results for the two others who died in the home are not yet in.

3 of 5 in house confirmed, toxicology results of 2 other deaths not yet in

The coroner in Yukon has confirmed that three of the five people who died in a Whitehorse home in January had extremely high levels of carbon monoxide in their system.

Sharon Hanley said high levels of carboxy hemoglobin were detected in Valerie Rusk and her children, Gabriel and Rebekah.

Carboxy hemoglobin is a mix of carbon monoxide and hemoglobin. Hanley says anything exceeding 40 per cent is considered severe poisoning.

Valerie Rusk had levels of 81 per cent. Her childrens’ levels were in the high 90s.

Toxicology results for the two others who died in the house – Bradley Rusk and family friend Donald McNamee, are not yet in.

Hanley has not yet decided if an inquest will be held into the deaths.

now