Nfld. & Labrador

Autopsy found that Triffie Wadman bled to death from bullet wounds

Triffie Wadman bled to death after a single gunshot penetrated her arm and lung, the chief medical examiner for Newfoundland and Labrador has testified.

Chief medical examiner testifies at 1st degree murder trial

It's week four of the first-degree murder trial for Trevor Pardy, 38, accused in the shooting death of Triffie Wadman, 30. (CBC)

Triffie Wadman bled to death after a single gunshot penetrated her arm and lung, according to the chief medical examiner for Newfoundland and Labrador.

Simon Avis testified Tuesday morning at Supreme Court in St. John's, as the first-degree murder trial for Trevor Pardy entered its 14th day.

Pardy, 38,  is accused of shooting Wadman, 30, after an argument on Boggy Hall Place in St. John's in the early hours of Oct. 1, 2011.

Avis told the court he examined Wadman's body two days after the shooting, and said she had two gunshot wounds as well as abrasions on her buttocks from being dragged on the pavement.

Some members of Wadman's family left court Tuesday when jurors were given photographs of the autopsy, showing entrance wounds on her left arm and left chest, and an exit wound in her back.

No muzzle burn on arm wound

Avis testified there was no muzzle burn on the arm wound, which indicated the bullet had been fired from a distance.

The jury earlier heard evidence that Pardy had told police on the night of the shooting that Wadman had tried to grab the gun, and it went off accidentally.

The chief medical examiner, Simon Avis, says Triffie Wadman might have lived if she had been treated earlier. (CBC)

Avis testified the same bullet penetrated Wadman's chest, fracturing ribs and slicing through the upper lobe of her lung, before coming out through her back.

He said Wadman's arm would have been held up for the bullet to follow that path.

He told jurors there was not much blood left in her body at the time of her death, and that while there was alcohol, it was not over the legal limit for driving.

An autopsy photo shows how a bullet passed through Triffie Wadman's arm and chest, damaging her ribs and lung. (CBC)

Avis said the bullet tore blood vessels, and Wadman bled to death. 

He could not say how long it took her to die, but concluded that if she had received medical treatment right away, she may have survived.

Jurors were told in previous testimony that it took about 30 minutes to get Wadman to hospital because Pardy would not put down his gun to allow police or paramedics to recover the body.

Follow updates from the trial through our live blog

With files from Glenn Payette