Nfld. & Labrador

St. John's to demolish Battery structures

The City of St. John's has a contractor on standby to knock down part of a stage in the Battery area near the city's harbour.

City of St. John's officials said Wednesday that they have a contractor on standby to knock down part of a stage in the Battery area near the city's harbour.

David Blackmore is St. John's director of buildings and property management.

He said Wednesday that the city doesn't want the whole stage torn down, just some structures that were added to it in recent years.

"What we're dealing with actually are the gangway and platform that's been constructed in an older crib that's in the water. We're not touching the crib that's in the water but we're concerned with the construction that's been created there, it's done without permit or any approval of course, but we're concerned it's a safety issue," said Blackmore.

Some area residents have told CBC News that they believe the city is trying to prevent people in the Battery from rebuilding structures that were damaged by a storm last year.

Blackmore denied that.

He said the city will co-operate with residents and other levels of government to re-develop the area, but it's going to have to be done in accordance with the city's building code.

Some residents said Wednesday that they will keep a vigil in the Battery to prevent workers from dismantling the gangway.