Springdale fire still smouldering

A large fire that destroyed several commercial businesses in Springdale last week is still smouldering.

Last week's powerful fire in Springale that destroyed a number of commercial businesses — is still smouldering.

The fire started late on the night of Jan. 9, burning down Home Hardware and the Bank of Montreal.

Springdale's chief adminstrative officer Rick LeDrew said there's still smoke coming from the site.

"You can well imagine all of the materials that were in the store, from paint to vinyl siding and things like that … and that still smoulders under the heavy layer of debris that's already there," said LeDrew.

While trying to control the blaze, firefighters also worked on keeping the flames from spreading to surrounding homes. Several homes had windows broken and siding, which melted from the heat.

LeDrew said insurance inspectors are still on scene assessing the damage. He added it is also unclear what caused the fire.