Crown seeks long-term offender status for rapist Sofyan Boalag
Boalag convicted of sexually assaulting 2 women and a girl earlier in August
The Crown told provincial court in St. John's on Wednesday it will be seeking a long-term offender designation for a man convicted of three charges of sexual assault.
- Sofyan Boalag found guilty of three charges of sexual assault
- Lawyers make final case in Sofyan Boalag rape trial
Sofyan Boalag, 37, was found guilty on Aug. 2 of sexually assaulting two women and a girl in St. John's in the late summer and fall of 2012.
Judge Pamela Goulding found Boalag guilty of 13 charges, three for sexual assault that included the use of a weapon.
Boalag appeared in provincial court on Wednesday as Crown Attorney Tannis King told the court her office will be seeking a long-term offender status.
The designation is usually given to sexual offenders and can result in a term of supervision of up to 10 years after an offender is released.
Defence lawyer Jeff Brace said he will argue against the designation.
Victim files lawsuit
One of Boalag's victims has filed a lawsuit against the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, specifically targeting the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary for failing to warn women about him.
Court documents state the province failed to take reasonable steps to perform its duties of care to the unnamed plaintiff by warning women about Boalag.
"The Defendant knew or ought to have known that a person in the community posed a threat," the paperwork, dated Jan. 20, 2016, said.
The legal documents, identifying the victim only as Jane Doe, said the attack by Boalag has affected her ability to get an education, and earn an income and has also brought on physical and mental pain and a loss of enjoyment of life.
St. John's-based law firm Budden & Associates is representing Jane Doe and is seeking damages from Boalag.
Boalag will be back in court for arguments and sentencing on Aug. 26 at 9 a.m.