Nfld. & Labrador

4th body recovered from floatplane crash in Labrador Lake

Divers have been searching for the plane in the deep, 16-kilometre long lake since last weekend but have found only small pieces of debris.

Divers grappling with lake's 16-kilometre length, extreme depth

John Weaver II, left, and his sons John Weaver III, right, and Matt Weaver, centre, were among the seven people on the float plane. (Weaver family/The Canadian Press)

The body of a fourth man who was aboard a floatplane that crashed into Mistastin Lake in Labrador last week has been recovered, according to the RCMP.

Police say the body was found Wednesday afternoon. It is being sent to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

Once the victim has been identified, the family will be notified, say the RCMP.

The search continues for the other three victims and the aircraft that was carrying them, but the daunting size of the remote Labrador lake where the plane crashed July 15 has complicated an ongoing underwater search, say police.

GPS co-ordinates of the downed de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver plane, owned by Quebec airline Air Saguenay, were recorded when Maritime Forces Atlantic left the scene July 16, RCMP Cpl. Jolene Garland said.

But since then, the RCMP believes, high winds and heavy rain have caused the plane to drift.

Divers have been searching Mistastin Lake, about 100 kilometres southwest of Nain, since last weekend, but so far only small pieces of debris from the plane have been found.

Garland said Wednesday that divers are grappling with the lake's 16-kilometre length and extreme depth.

"It's like the needle in the haystack," Garland said of the search for the missing plane.

Mistastin Lake, west of Natuashish in Labrador, is the site of a fatal Air Saguenay plane crash. (CBC)

She said the search teams intend to investigate "objects of interest" in the lake with divers and with a remotely operated vehicle that can reach greater depths. But Garland said the search for the objects, identified by side-scanning sonar, can be tricky with such a wide area to cover.

"Even if you did it in quadrants, by the time you're moving around and rotating your search area, things could've drifted or moved from where you first started," she said.

No end date has been set for the search efforts.

The president of Air Saguenay says the DHC-2 Beaver aircraft, like the one pictured here, had been inspected in the spring. (Air Saguenay/Facebook)

Three still missing

Seven men, including the pilot, were aboard the float plane that left Three Rivers Lodge in Labrador to fish on Mistastin Lake.

It didn't return as planned that evening, sparking the response by Maritime Forces Atlantic, which spotted the tail of the plane and other wreckage floating in the water early on Tuesday.

The bodies of fishing guide Dwayne Winsor of Deer Lake, N.L., guest John Weaver II of Chicago and another 67-year-old man from New Jersey have been recovered so far. A fourth body was found Wednesday afternoon, police said Thursday, but he has not been identified yet.

Dwayne Winsor, 47, was from Triton but living in Deer Lake. He died in the plane crash. (Dwayne C Winsor/Facebook)

The missing and unidentified include Weaver's sons John Weaver III and Matthew Weaver, pilot Gilles Morin and another 50-year-old fishing guide from Newfoundland and Labrador.

Authorities have expressed little hope of finding any survivors but Garland said investigators are still working to find some answers in the lake.

"We remain hopeful," she said.

The cause of the crash is still unknown.

'Simply unthinkable'

Jean Tremblay, president of Air Saguenay, said Morin was an experienced, safe pilot and that the plane had been inspected this spring.

Gilles Morin is seen in this undated handout photo. The 61-year-old pilot with Air Saguenay was one of seven people on board the plane. (Jean Tremblay/The Canadian Press)

The Transportation Safety Board of Canada said Monday that investigators plan to visit the site to inspect the plane after it has been located and removed from the water.

A statement from Robin Reeve, managing partner of Three Rivers Lodge, posted on its website commented on the news that "a tragedy has fallen" on the facility, offering condolences to the men's families.

"It is simply unthinkable that these dear friends are never coming home," Reeve's statement read.

Reeve's statement also commented on the dangers involved in running and visiting a remote lodge.

"We have set the standard for safety and preparedness with communication tools and policies that are far beyond the industry standard," it read. "Unfortunately, this way of life is not without the inherent risks that come with the operation of a remote wilderness camp."

Read more from CBC Newfoundland and Labrador

With files from The Canadian Press


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.