Nfld. & Labrador

Paramedics march in call for action on 'dangerously understaffed' ambulance system

Dozens of paramedics took to the streets of St. John's on Friday afternoon, after a CBC Investigates story revealed new details of big problems in the metro ambulance service run by Eastern Health.

'We are not going to go away,' NAPE leader says

Dozens of paramedics march as part of a demonstration in St. John's on Friday afternoon. Earlier in the week, a CBC News story revealed new problems flagged by Eastern Health officials in the metro ambulance service. (Bruce Tilley/CBC)

Paramedics took to the streets of St. John's on Friday afternoon to call for action, after a CBC Investigates story revealed new details of big problems in the metro ambulance service run by Eastern Health.

Dozens of them chanted "solidarity" and carried signs, but none made any public comments.

Jerry Earle, president of the Newfoundland and Labrador Association of Public and Private Employees, says that's because they aren't permitted to do so.

"As of today, they cannot speak publicly about their concerns," Earle told the crowd. "I can and I will."

The union organized the demonstration in the wake of disclosures in a CBC Investigates story on Monday.

"It took a media outlet to go and do an [access-to-information] request to get this documentation," Earle said.

"It was kept in secret."

Three months ago, Eastern Health officials offered a blunt assessment of ambulance capabilities on the northeast Avalon in a briefing to the provincial Department of Health, calling the metro ambulance service "dangerously understaffed."

There were more than 2,000 so-called red alerts over a 12-month period, when there was no ambulance available to respond to a call.

The document also outlined long off-load delays at emergency rooms, and the frequency of transports as being linked to burnout and health issues among paramedics.

Paramedics hold signs at the demonstration, near the Health Sciences Centre. Their union is calling on the province and Eastern Health to address the 'critical shortage' of on-duty ambulances and paramedic staff. (Bruce Tilley/CBC)

Those were all new revelations about a long-standing problem.

"That is not acceptable and it cannot go on for seven days longer, let alone seven years longer," Earle said.

Eastern Health has declined comment and the Health Department says it can't talk during the election.

On Monday, Premier Andrew Furey said the province has taken action on the issue — something NAPE disputes.

"We are not going to go away," Earle told the crowd.

"I call upon the politicians that are now seeking office, to tell us what you are going to do to address the situation here in the metro area, and across this province."

Read more from CBC Newfoundland and Labrador

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversationCreate account

Already have an account?

now