N.L. reports 3 new cases of COVID-19
Province now has 9 active cases
Three new cases of COVID-19 were reported in Newfoundland and Labrador on Saturday, a day after two new cases in two different health regions in the province were added to the caseload.
All three new cases are females in the Western Health region under 19 years old.
The Department of Health said in a media release Saturday the women are close contacts of a previous case and are members of the same extended household.
"Because they were identified previously as close contacts, they were already in quarantine throughout their infectious periods. This means there is no risk of transmission to the community," reads the release.
"Contact tracing by public health is completed. Everyone considered a close contact has been advised to quarantine."
The province now has nine active cases. The province's total caseload is now 282, with 269 people having recovered from the virus and four deaths since March.
In total, 46,359 people have been tested as of Saturday — 303 of those in the last 24 hours.
As a result of one of the cases reported a day ago — a man between 40 and 49 years old in the Eastern Health region who returned home from work in Africa — the Department of Health is asking anyone who travelled on Air Canada Flight 690 from Toronto to St. John's on Wednesday to call 811 to arrange for COVID-19 testing.
The Health Department said Friday's other case, a woman in the Western Health region, is a close contact and a member of the same household as a previously reported case in the area.
Coal mine outbreak over
The Department of Health also said the COVID-19 outbreak at the Teck Coal Mine in Elkford, B.C., is over, as two full incubation periods, or 28 days, have passed since the last reported case at the site.
"While this outbreak is over, rotational workers are reminded to keep following the self-isolation guidelines in place," reads the media release.