Nfld. & Labrador

2nd straight day with 4 new COVID-19 cases in N.L.

Two cases are in the Eastern Health region, and two are in the Central Health region.

3 cases travel-related, now 30 active cases

The Department of Health reports four new cases of COVID-19 in Newfoundland and Labrador on Sunday. (Ivanoh Demers/CBC)

For the second consecutive day, there are four new cases of COVID-19 in Newfoundland and Labrador.

According to the Department of Health on Sunday, three of the cases are travel-related. The first, a male resident of the province in his 40s in the Eastern Health region, arrived in the province from Alberta.

The second new case, a man in his 40s in the Eastern Health region, also came to the province from Alberta, but is not a resident of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Both cases are connected and are also close contacts of a previously known travel-related case. The Department of Health told CBC News the men travelled together with another person who tested positive for the virus, but the order in which the infections occurred isn't known by public health.

Sunday's third case, a man in his 60s, returned home to the Central Health region after working in Alberta.

The fourth case is not travel-related, a man between the ages of 20 and 39 in the Central Health region who is a close contact of a previous case.

The men are now self-isolating with contact tracing underway.

The four new cases bring the province's total number of cases to 351. There are 30 active cases.

Since the pandemic began in March, 317 people have recovered from the virus, and there have been four COVID-19-related deaths. No one is in hospital due to the virus.

Since Saturday, 220 people have been tested, bringing the total number across Newfoundland and Labrador to 64,354.

In Sunday's press release, public health officials said the investigation into the source of infection for one of Saturday's four cases is continuing.

Recoveries outweigh new cases this week

The province saw 14 new cases of COVID-19 this week, but the number of recoveries also jumped in the last seven days.

In all, 20 people have recovered since last Sunday, dropping the number of active cases by six from the previous week, from 36 to 30.

Premier Andrew Furey is expected to make an announcement about the Atlantic bubble on Monday. Newfoundland and Labrador pulled out of the agreement two weeks ago. (Government of Newfoundland and Labrador)

The week included four days where the number of recoveries was higher than the number of new reported cases.

With the province's next COVID-19 briefing scheduled for Monday, it is expected Premier Andrew Furey will speak about Newfoundland and Labrador's future in the Atlantic bubble. Monday will mark two weeks since the province's announcement to leave the Atlantic bubble, imposing self-isolation requirements for people travelling within the Atlantic provinces.

Prince Edward Island announced Thursday it would not be rejoining the Atlantic bubble until at least Dec. 21.

Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island all reported four new cases on Sunday.

Read more from CBC Newfoundland and Labrador

now