Nfld. & Labrador

With 4 new cases, N.L. holds the line on COVID-19 infections

Newfoundland and Labrador reported four new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, with at least three of them related to travel.

No new cases reported on ship in Conception Bay

Newfoundland and Labrador's number of COVID-19 cases is holding steady, according to public health figures released Tuesday. (Paul Daly/CBC)

Newfoundland and Labrador is reporting four new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, with at least three of them related to travel. 

The Department of Health and Community Services also reported four more recoveries, which means the number of active cases is holding steady at 56. The number of people receiving treatment in hospital is also holding steady at two. 

All of the new cases are in the jurisdiction of Eastern Health. 

A daily statement said two of the cases are related to travel within Canada, while another is connected to international travel. The fourth case is still being investigated. 

Arising from Tuesday's report, public health is asking people who flew Saturday from Montreal to St. John's on Air Canada Flight 678 to arrange for a COVID-19 test. 

Tuesday's statement said there are no additional cases aboard the MV Federal Montreal, a bulk carrier that was grounded by an outbreak among the crew. So far, 13 of the 19 crew have tested positive. One has been hospitalized. 

Dr. Janice Fitzgerald, Newfoundland and Labrador's chief medical officer of health, is scheduled to provide a weekly pandemic update on Wednesday at 12:30 p.m. NT. Health Minister John Haggie and Premier Andrew Furey are also scheduled to speak at the briefing. 

Last week, Fitzgerald said she is wary of spiking numbers of COVID-19 in other provinces, from hot spots in Alberta and Ontario to less serious but concerning caseloads in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. In particular, Fitzgerald said she was worried that several virus variants have all been identified within Newfoundland and Labrador. 

Nova Scotia announced 153 new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, with two new deaths. There are now 1,060 active cases in the province, which is in the second week of a lockdown.

Elsewhere in Atlantic Canada, New Brunswick reported four new cases Tuesday, with an active caseload of 141 people. Prince Edward Island has one new case, and the caseload has fallen to seven.

Read more from CBC Newfoundland and Labrador

Add some “good” to your morning and evening.

A variety of newsletters you'll love, delivered straight to you.

Sign up now

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversationCreate account

Already have an account?

now