Fire tears through L'Anse au Clair Community Centre
Fire crews from neighbouring communities responded to a fire at the community centre in L'Anse au Clair on Tuesday.
Firefighters were battling the blaze for several hours throughout the afternoon, and a video posted to social media showed thick smoke billowing from the front of the bungalow-style building.
The community centre, which used to be an old school, houses the town council office, a gym and a new annex which was added to the building in 2008.
Resident Hillary Chubbs told CBC a co-worker at Robin's Donuts spotted the fire around 1 p.m.
"It was just the back of the building, so it didn't seem too concerning, but the smoke was black and when we started seeing the flames that was scary."
Chubbs said fire departments from nearby communities were at the scene to help out, and people from the town were gathered around to watch them battle the thick smoke and flames.
"My house is directly in front of the building, and that's what I was nervous about," she said. "I was just concerned about my cats."
Chubbs said most of the community centre is now destroyed.
"It's going to be a big loss."