Nfld. & Labrador

Boy safe as fire guts home on Bay Bulls Road

The child was taken out of the burning home at 156 Bay Bulls Road by his father.

Pet hamster was also saved from burning house

A two-year-old child was able to get out of a burning apartment in the west end of St. John's Tuesday. 1:20

A two-year-old child was able to get out of a burning apartment in the west end of St. John's Tuesday.

Firefighters got a call around 1:30 p.m. about smoke at a two-apartment house at 156 Bay Bulls Rd.

Kyle Taplin saw the fire when he got home from the store, and carried his two-year-old son out of the home, through smoke and flames. The child was in the basement apartment with his uncle, who also got out safely.

Kyle Taplin carried his two-year-old son out of basement apartment when a fire broke out in the kitchen upstsairs. (Mark Quinn/CBC)

The toddler's mother, Brittany Tucker, got a phone call about the fire, and rushed home to find everyone outside.

"I was at my father's and I got a phone call from my brother. He was watching my little fella at the time. All he told me was that he seen flames coming through the upstairs window and that's when he called the fire department."

Tucker said her son was asleep in his bed when the fire started.

"Thank God nobody was hurt. And there was nobody home upstairs, which is great. It could have been a lot worse."

Brittany Tucker says her son was asleep when the fire broke out, and says she is relieved no one was hurt. (Mark Quinn/CBC)

Cpt. Dale Canning of the St. John's Regional Fire Department said the fire started in the kitchen of the upstairs apartment.

There is substantial smoke and heat damage to the home, he said.

"We found one pet inside, a hamster, which is living."

Clarifications

  • A previous version of the story said the fire was at 156 Old Bay Bulls Rd.
    Aug 09, 2016 3:42 PM NT