Feds mark $68.2M for small craft harbours across Newfoundland and Labrador
The government of Canada is spending almost $70 million this year to improve small craft harbour projects across the province.
Dominic LeBlanc, minister of fisheries, oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard, made the announcement in Bay de Verde Monday afternoon.
The investment includes funding for multi-year projects at Bay de Verde, where the fish plant was destroyed by fire three months ago.
"Infrastructure investment is a priority for our government. It is good for all Canadians and good for the Canadian economy," LeBlanc said in a statement.
LeBlanc said the announcement is "just one more example of the federal government's commitment to promote the fishing industry," and said it will "foster employment opportunities that benefit local workers and support coastal communities across the country for years to come."
16 harbours to benefit
Judy Foote, minister of public services and procurement and Bonavista-Burin-Trinity MP, added that $26.9 million of the $68.2 million will be invested at 16 harbours throughout eastern Newfoundland and the Bay de Verde peninsula.
"Bay de Verde is one of the most important landing sites in Newfoundland and Labrador. Working together, industry and government are rebuilding this vital part of our community, and the newly rebuilt wharf that will emerge from the ashes will be a testament to this collaboration," Foote said.
"Keeping this harbour in good operating condition is critical to the people who use it. The government of Canada is investing in infrastructure projects such as this, to the benefit of local fishers, while helping middle class Canadians by creating jobs and boosting the local economy."
Additional projects in Bay de Verde include repairs to the north side service and storage area, as well as the completion of the south side breakwater reconstruction project that began last year.
Five of the 16 harbours will have the investment extend into future years for an additional $14.6 million.