FashioNL: Got rainbow? St. John's wackiest house colours
People like to express themselves with their clothing and accessories, but some use the clapboard — or vinyl siding — on their homes as a sort of canvas.
In downtown St. John's it is totally acceptable, even encouraged, to make homes as colourful and cheerful as possible.
You may as well brighten up the landscape as best you can when you are dealing with as much fog as we do.
I've wanted to profile house colours in a FashioNL column for a while.
I love to walk. There's so much more that I notice on foot than when I'm in a vehicle, and a lot of these homes are ones I see every day while pushing my toddler in his stroller.
So, amidst the doom and gloom of the economy, budget cuts, crap weather — and the death of Prince ... it's time to look at some colourful houses!
As you can see by the following examples, anything goes! And I, for one, absolutely love it. These colourful homes make my walks that much more enjoyable.
1. Fuchsia and neon yellow are perfectly acceptable home colours
2. Bring on the citrus, with these fresh tones
3. I love the effect of opposites such as green and red
4. And, stripes
5. Can't decide on a colour? Use them all...
6. Loving the baby blue and pink
7. Just. Cute.
8. Anything with purple...
9. Postcard perfect
10. Bright in the Battery
11. I call this the Chocolate House
12. Purple with pink
13. And more purple with pink
14. Classic red, white and blue
15. Pretty green house behind matching picket fence
16. Nice job on the blue, brown and yellow combo
17. Classic red and yellow, with a bit of blue
18. I can't resist a tiny purple house
19. No beige here
20. Primary red and yellow really pop
21. Want lime with that?
22. Not homes, but lots of magic happening inside the colourful headquarters of NIFCO — NL's filmmakers cooperative
23. Purple actually goes with everything
24. Traditional colours with a twist
25. Got bumblebee?
27. I know it's not a house, but I love this blue and yellow Battery perch
28. Prince is knocking
29. Not wacky, but perfectly classic
30. Opposites attract!