Dog poisoning devastates family
Dog owners in Port Saunders are concerned somebody may be intentionally poisoning their pets.
On Wednesday, the Goodman family's dog, Cujo, became ill. By Friday, the dog was so sick it was taken to the vet, where it was determined the dog had ingested nearly a cup of antifreeze.
Lisa Goodman says the dog was in perfect health before getting sick this past Tuesday, but by Sunday the dog was so sick he had to be put down.
"It was absolutely devastating for the whole family," she said.
Cujo is the third dog that has died suddenly in the town this year, the 2nd in the last month. All three dogs lived on the same street.
Goodman said she doesn't know for sure if the dog was poisoned intentionally, but she has contacted the town council and RCMP about the issue. She is still trying to deal with the emotional aftermath of losing a member of the family.
"It was undoubtedly the hardest thing I ever had to do, to put down that dog," she said.
Terri-Lynn Hamlin's dog, Hercules, lived on the same street as Cujo. He died a month ago after being poisoned.
Hamlin is certain the poisoning wasn't an accident.
"Our dog was deliberately poisoned," she said. "I don't know who's doing this or why, but if you have issues with dogs roaming, call up and say your dog is on my lawn, please tie him up. Don't poison him. Don't kill our best friend."