Nfld. & Labrador

N.L. records 19 straight days of zero COVID-19 cases, as St. John's lifts 'walk-through' park rules

Earlier Tuesday, the CIty of St. John's announced people could use open spaces in parks, but picnic areas, playgrounds, and skate parks remain closed.

The Loop at Bannerman Park is open, with limit of 15 people

The Loop at Bannerman Park is open, but only 15 people are allowed on it at a time, says the City of St. John's. (CBC)

There are no additional cases of COVID-19 in Newfoundland and Labrador — making it the 19th day in a row that the province has not seen a new case of the infectious disease. 

The province's case total remains 260.

The number of recovered cases increased by one to 255. There have been three deaths from the virus.

Tuesday's report means that there are now just two active cases in the province.

One person is in hospital, the provincial government said. 

It's the first time since March 28 that no one has been in an intensive-care unit because of the disease

According to the latest statistics provided by the provincial government, 11,495 of people have been tested — 148 in the last 24 hours. 

Tuesday's COVID-19 figures were released in a statement. The live briefings that had taken place Monday to Friday for the last two months are now scheduled for Monday, Wednesday and Friday of each week.

Earlier in the day, the City of St. John's gave people the official OK to stop and sit in municipal parks — or parts of them, at least. 

The city is lifting is "walk-through only" rule that was put in place in municipal parks due to COVID-19. 

"Passive open spaces" can now be used, according to a media release issued by the city on Tuesday. 

The Loop in Bannerman Park is now open, too, with a limit of 15 people to prevent overcrowding. 

City parking enforcement officers will be keeping tabs on the maximum limit of participants. 

Picnic areas, playgrounds, swimming pools and skate parks are still closed. So, too, is the duck pond at Bowring Park. Team sports, and other activities where there is contact with another person or people, are also not allowed. 

City-owned tennis courts will be ready to play on by Friday. 

Many have their sights set on June 8, which is when the province would move to Alert Level 3, and see a further relaxing of public health regulations.

That includes the Liberal Party of Newfoundland and Labrador, which announced on Monday that the leadership race — which has John Abbott and Andrew Furey vying to replace Premier Dwight Ball — would resume on June 8, if all continues to remain steady on the public health front when it comes to the number of cases of COVID-19.

Read more from CBC Newfoundland and Labrador

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

now