Nfld. & Labrador

Public health calls for testing of Mount Pearl restaurant patrons as N.L. reports 3 new cases of COVID-19

Newfoundland and Labrador is reporting three new cases of COVID-19 on Saturday as public health makes a call for testing for people who worked at or visited a restaurant in Mount Pearl recently. 

The province now has 17 active cases, six associated with cluster

Newfoundland and Labrador is reporting three new cases of COVID-19 on Saturday. (Adam Walsh/CBC)

Newfoundland and Labrador is reporting three new cases of COVID-19 on Saturday, as public health officials call for people who worked at or visited a Mount Pearl restaurant to get tested.

In Saturday's update, the Department of Health said one of the new cases is a woman between 20 and 39 years old in the Eastern Health region. The source of the infection is under investigation, and the department said it will provide more information as it becomes available. 

The woman is self-isolating and contact tracing is underway. 

As part of its investigation into this case, public health is asking anyone who worked at or visited the Bigs Restaurant in Mount Pearl between Jan. 21 and Feb. 4 to call 811 or use the province's online assessment tool to arrange testing. Anyone who gets tested must self-isolate until they receive a negative test result.

The restaurant has been notified and will be closing until all staff are tested.

The second case reported Saturday is also a woman between 20 and 39 years old in the Eastern Health region and is related to travel. The woman, who is not a resident of Newfoundland and Labrador, came to the province from Quebec for work, the Health Department said. The woman is self-isolating, and contact tracing by public health officials is ongoing. Anyone considered a close contact has been advised to quarantine. 

Lastly, a new case was reported in the Western Health region. A man between 40 and 49 years old, a resident of the province, who returned home from work in British Columbia. The Department of Health said the man is a close contact of a previously known case in the region. 

The individual is self-isolating and contact tracing is complete.

Presumptive case is negative, cluster investigation continues

Meanwhile, the Health Department also provided an update on the one new presumptive positive case of COVID-19 reported Thursday.

The case was a male in the Eastern Health region between 40 and 49 years old and a resident of the province. 

"Following retesting at the provincial Public Health and Microbiology Laboratory it was determined that this individual is not a case," reads Saturday's media release.

Public health continues its search for the source of a cluster in the Eastern Health region where, as of Saturday's update, has six cases.

There have been no recoveries since Friday's update. There are 17 active cases in the province. In total, 81,799 people have been tested to date, including 205 in the last day. 

Read more from CBC Newfoundland and Labrador

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversationCreate account

Already have an account?

now