Nfld. & Labrador

N.L. reports 25 new cases of COVID-19, adds 29 new recoveries

There are 25 new cases of COVID-19 in Newfoundland and Labrador on Sunday, all within the Eastern Health region.

1 more person is now in hospital

Newfoundland and Labrador is reporting 25 new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday. (John Pike/CBC)

There are 25 new cases of COVID-19 in Newfoundland and Labrador on Sunday, all within the Eastern Health region.

There is also one new presumptive positive case in the Labrador-Grenfell Health region. In a media release the Department of Health said the case is a person who is military personnel and has been in self-isolation since arrival.

Contact tracing is completed and there are no close contacts outside the person's self-isolating work contacts, the Health Department said.

"Public health has determined there is no risk to the region as a result of this case," reads Sunday's media release. 

Four of Sunday's 25 new confirmed cases were previously presumptive positive cases. There is one outstanding presumptive positive case awaiting confirmatory testing.

There have been 29 new recoveries in the Eastern Health region since Saturday's update. There are 430 active cases in the province.

There are now three people in hospital due to COVID-19. 

Public health says testing continues to be a top priority for in containing the spread of a recent outbreak linked to the coronavirus variant B117. The province's testing total has reached 107,797 since Saturday's COVID-19 update, including 986 people tested in the last 24 hours.

Sunday's new cases by age:

  • 13 under 20 years old.
  • One between 20 and 39 years old.
  • Six between 40 and 49 years old.
  • Three between 50 and 59 years old.
  • Two between 60 and 69 years old.

Public health is asking passengers who travelled on Air Canada Flight 8773 from St. John's to Montreal on Monday to arrange testing because of a confirmed case of COVID-19 in a traveller with the possibility of potential exposure on this flight.

"Anyone who travelled on this flight and is now back in Newfoundland and Labrador should arrange testing. The traveller is no longer in the province. This case is not related to any confirmed cases in Newfoundland and Labrador at this time," the Department of Health said.

Meanwhile, Eastern Health is recommending additional COVID-19 testing for everyone in the Mount Pearl Senior High community, regardless of if they have previously tested negative for the virus or do not currently have symptoms.

The health authority said they are concerned there may be people who have gone undiagnosed, or have developed symptoms since the initial testing blitz. 

Read more from CBC Newfoundland and Labrador

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

now