Court upholds injunction against Muskrat Falls protesters
The Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador has ordered protesters from the NunatuKavut Community Council to limit their activities near the Muskrat Falls construction site.
Nalcor Energy was granted a temporary injunction last week against the aboriginal group, after protesters were slowing down trucks headed to the site.
The court confirmed Wednesday that protesters cannot block access to the site, approach any vehicle or interfere with construction.
"Interrupting the work would still see the expenses continue to escalate on our side," said Gilbert Bennett, Nalcor's vice president of the Lower Churchill Project.
Nalcor will, however, set up a safety zone at the intersection of the Trans Labrador Highway and the Muskrat Falls Access Road, which can be used for protesting and parking.
"We'll move on that right away," Bennett said.
Derek Simon, the aboriginal group's lawyer, said he'll have to look at the safety zone once it's set up.
"We'll have to see how it plays down on the ground," he said.
"We'll see how it's constructed and whether it allows our clients to engage in their rights of peaceful protest and assembly."
The case will be back in court from Nov. 6-7 in Happy Valley-Goose Bay.