Nfld. & Labrador

Grand Falls-Windsor fire chief says move your butt can to prevent fires

The Grand Falls-Windsor fire department responded to a fire at an apartment building on Thursday that Chief Vince MacKenzie says was started by a cigarette.

Fire chief tweeted warning about discarding cigarettes in cans

The Grand Falls-Windsor fire department responded to a fire at an apartment building on Thursday. (Vince MacKenzie/Twitter)

The Grand Falls-Windsor fire department responded to a fire at an apartment building on Thursday that chief Vince MacKenzie says was started by a cigarette. 

MacKenzie warned the public on Twitter on Thursday evening against discarding cigarettes in cans placed too close to buildings.

While the damage to the building appears to be minor, MacKenzie said discarding cigarettes in cans is never a safe option.

"Cigarette butt cans are never safe and shouldn't be in proximity of buildings and combustible decks," MacKenzie said.

Fire chief Vince MacKenzie said the fire was started by a cigarette discarded in a can that was too close to the building. (Vince MacKenzie/CBC)

Read more from CBC Newfoundland and Labrador