Nfld. & Labrador

Alberta accepts COVID-19 aid from N.L., days after rejecting initial offer

Alberta's premier has accepted medical aid from Newfoundland and Labrador, days after saying it didn't require help dealing with a fourth-wave peak.

N.L. to send 5 or 6 medical workers to Fort McMurray: Kenney

A staff member works in an Alberta hospital ICU during the COVID-19 pandemic. As of Sept. 30, there are more than 1,000 people being treated for COVID-19 in hospital, 263 of them in intensive-care beds. (AHS)

Alberta's premier has accepted medical aid from Newfoundland and Labrador, days after saying the COVID-stricken province didn't require help dealing with a fourth-wave peak.

Jason Kenney said Thursday evening that some hospitals are "under severe stress," citing low vaccination uptake in the central part of the province.

Kenney said an agreement with Newfoundland and Labrador is now being finalized, which includes the lending of five or six ICU-trained medical workers.

There are 20,255 active cases of COVID-19 in Alberta as of Thursday, with 1,083 people in hospital being treated for the disease, including 263 in intensive care.

Kenney thanked Premier Andrew Furey for offering assistance earlier this month — aid he originally turned down.

"We were moving toward a start date for that … and then last week, Premier Kenney said that the situation had evolved to the point where their predictive modelling would suggest that they wouldn't require our resources at this time," Furey said in a briefing Tuesday.

"I reassured him that we would be there for him … provided our situation is OK into the future."

The cadre of medical workers heading west will mirror what Newfoundland and Labrador offered Ontario last spring, when Premier Andrew Furey sent two waves of doctors and nurses to jump into the fray of Ontario's gridlocked hospitals.

The Alberta team would likely be dispatched to the Northern Lights Regional Health Centre in Fort McMurray, Kenney said.

"As [Furey] joked with me, Fort McMurray is Newfoundland's second largest city," Kenney said. "This is a wonderful gesture from a province whose people have done so much to build prosperity."

Newfoundland and Labrador has battled its own fourth wave in recent days, repeatedly reporting new cases in the double digits — an abnormal occurrence for the province throughout much of the pandemic.

It had 164 active cases provincewide as of Wednesday, with seven people in hospital due to COVID-19, the highest number of hospitalizations since March 5. Two of those people are in critical care.

Modelling released Wednesday by Eastern Health clinical scientist Dr. Proton Rahman projected increased hospitalizations and higher occupancy of intensive-care units as the fourth wave progresses.

A spokesperson from Furey's office confirmed late Thursday evening that around half a dozen medical workers would be sent to Alberta, but could not immediately provide details of the plan.

Read more from CBC Newfoundland and Labrador

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?

now