Sister recalls panic in kidnapping trial
Crown prosecutor could call alleged kidnapping victim on Wednesday
The sister of an alleged kidnapping victim described the emotional strain the woman's disappearance caused on the family during the second day of testimony at the Romeo Cormier trial in Moncton.
Cormier, 63, is charged with six offences in the case of woman who was allegedly abducted last year.
The woman, whose identity is protected by a publication ban, escaped from a basement apartment in March 2010 after being missing for about a month.
The woman's sister told the court that the two had a close relationship, something they shared with their large family.
During Monday morning's testimony, the sister described her fear and panic when getting a phone call from her brother-in-law at midnight on Feb. 26, 2010, saying his wife had not come home from work.
The sister also choked up when asked to describe her emotions when she found out the complainant had been found alive nearly a month later.
Marc Savoie, the Crown prosecutor, said some of the sister's testimony was difficult for her and for the people in the courtroom to hear.
"Obviously it was really emotional testimony. It wasn't easy for her to testify, for sure, it wasn't easy I believe for the members of the public that was here to hear all of that," Savoie said.
"All of the evidence, all of the elements that we wanted her to explain to the jury was well explained and we're really happy with the way that she testified this morning."
Cormier is facing charges that include kidnapping, unlawful confinement, sexual assault, theft of money using violence, assault with a weapon and uttering threats, in connection with the month-long disappearance of a 54-year-old Moncton woman in February 2010.
The woman's sister is the second witness the Crown has called since delivering its opening statement on Friday afternoon.
Savoie said he anticipates the complainant, which the Crown calls its key witness, will testify as early as Wednesday.