New Brunswick

Public health confirms 2nd case of swine flu in N.B.

A woman in her 40s has been confirmed as New Brunswick's second case of swine flu, according to the Department of Health.

A woman in her 40s has been confirmed as New Brunswick's second case of swine flu, according to the Department of Health.

Dr. Eilish Cleary, the province's chief medical officer of health, confirmed in a news conference Monday afternoon that a second case of the H1N1 influenza virus, commonly known as swine flu, has been confirmed in the province.

She said the woman is in her 40s and lives in the Upper St. John River Valley region.

The Department of Health has set up a toll-free information number to answer questions about the H1N1 flu virus: 1-800-580-0038.

The woman had been in Mexico about two weeks ago.

"She was in Mexico. She was sick after she returned from Mexico. She has recovered, she didn't require hospitalization," Cleary said.

"She is way past the infectious period."

Lori Walsh, 22, said she was told on Friday morning by the public health office that she had the province's first case of swine flu.

Walsh said she became ill on a recent trip to Mexico and she is at home in her Moncton apartment

now