New Brunswick

Off-duty paramedic killed in Dieppe fire

One person was killed and two others injured in an early morning fire at a Dieppe triplex on Wednesday.

2 others injured, family of 7 displaced by early morning blaze Wednesday

One person was killed and two others injured in an early morning fire at a Dieppe triplex on Wednesday.

A family of seven has also been temporarily displaced.

Ambulance New Brunswick says the victim was one of its paramedics.

Mike Harborne was off-duty when the fire broke out at 582 Charline Ave. at about 2:30 a.m.

"We lost a great paramedic," Ambulance New Brunswick posted on Twitter.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to Mike Harborne’s loved ones and fellow paramedics in these difficult times."

Firefighter injured

Firefighters responded to a 911 call from two people who were trapped on the upper level of the triplex on the city's east side, said Dieppe Fire Chief Charles LeBlanc.

"There was people on both sides, the people from the other side were able to escape without injuries," said LeBlanc.

"Two people were rescued from the second floor of the other unit … At the time that we got to them, they were unconscious," he said.

Harborne, who was one of the two people, was later pronounced dead.

The other man remains in hospital in critical condition, according to a spokesperson for the City of Dieppe.

A firefighter was also injured in the blaze, suffering a broken foot.

He missed a step as he was pulling a victim out of the building, the department says.

The firefighter is on crutches and will be off of work for several weeks.

It appears the fire started on the first floor near the kitchen area, the fire chief said.

"Unknown, the exact cause, we're doing the investigation this morning," LeBlanc said.

Family forced out

The Canadian Red Cross is assisting seven people from the adjoining unit, which sustained smoke and water damage and had its power turned off, said Atlantic communications director Dan Bedell.

The agency has arranged emergency lodging, food and clothing for the couple and their five children, he said in a statement.

Second fire strikes Dieppe business

The Dieppe Fire Department responded to another fire in the city's industrial park on Tuesday night.

It broke out at a garage at 649 Malenfant St. at about 6 p.m., the chief said.

No one was in the building at the time and there were no injuries, said LeBlanc.

But the building was severely damaged, he said.

The cause of that fire is also under investigation.