Sentencing of Bruce Marion in stolen historic brass plaques case delayed
New Brunswick Museum requests more time to file community impact statement
A Hampton man who pleaded guilty to possessing ground-up pieces of historic brass plaques that were stolen from the New Brunswick Museum in July will remain in custody at the provincial jail as a result of his sentencing being delayed until Oct. 13.
Bruce Lee Marion, 41, was due to be sentenced on Friday, but the New Brunswick Museum asked for more time to complete a victim impact statement on behalf of the community.
Marion, who remains in custody, faces a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.
He was connected to the theft after he was identified as being in the vehicle that delivered some material to a scrap yard in Lorneville.
It was Robert Knox at Simpson Scrap Metal and Recycling who called the police and reported the vehicle's licence plate.
"They were cut into little tiny pieces, like maybe six-by-eight-inch squares," said Knox.
His suspicion was aroused after hearing radio news reports about the museum's loss.
He said police seized the material and never did return it.
"Maybe I should write the victim impact statement," he joked over the phone.
CBC News has asked the Saint John Police Force for an update on the investigation, but as of late Friday morning, has not received a reply.
Marion's lawyer Wes McIntosh told the court his client had material from only two of the four stolen plaques.
The plaques, produced by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, recognized Sir Charles Carter Drury, John Hamilton Gray, George McCall Theal and John Clarence Webster.
The court heard previously that the estimated total replacement cost of all four would be roughly $3,000.
McIntosh has asked the court to consider a two-year jail sentence for Marion, who pleaded guilty on Sept. 28 to possession of stolen property worth more than $5,000.
Marion has been in custody since he first appeared in court on Aug. 17.