New Brunswick

N.B. COVID-19 roundup: 113 people in hospital, 1 death recorded Saturday

New Brunswick's COVID-19 hospitalization number has jumped by 10 on the first day of Level 3.

Saturday marks the first day under Level 3 lockdown measures

As of Saturday, 83 per cent of New Brunswickers were fully vaccinated and 30 per cent have received a booster shot. (Markus Schreiber/The Associated Press)

Latest

  • Hospitalizations up by 10, to 113
  • MyHealthNB proof of vaccination section down from 11 p.m. Friday to Monday
  • First day of Level 3

New Brunswick's COVID-19 hospitalization number has jumped by 10 on the first day of Level 3 restrictions.

The province says one person between the ages of 70 and 79 has died in Zone 4, or the Edmundston area, due to the virus. It brings the province's total number of deaths to 183.

According to the online dashboard, there are 113 people in hospital, 12 in intensive care. Two patients are on ventilators.

A provincial news release said 60 of the people in hospital were admitted for reasons other than COVID-19.

"Sixty-seven per cent of those in ICU are either unvaccinated, partially vaccinated, or it has been more than six months since their second dose," the release said.

The majority of the people hospitalized are over the age of 60, it said. One person is 19 or under.

There are 409 new cases confirmed by PCR testing, putting the active caseload at 5,626. That figure doesn't include people testing positive on rapid tests.

An additional 644 people, aged two to 49 and with symptoms, tested positive on rapid tests and registered their results online.

The origin of most of the new PCR cases is under investigation. Seventy-eight are contacts of a previously confirmed case.

Most of the new PCR cases, 177, were confirmed in the Moncton area, followed by the Saint John area.

As of Saturday, 83 per cent of New Brunswickers were fully vaccinated, and 30 per cent have received a booster shot.

Outbreak at hospital in Moncton

Vitalité Health Network has declared an outbreak at Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont University Hospital Centre in Moncton.

In a news release, the health authority said the outbreak is being declared because there are 11 patients with COVID-19 and there are outbreaks in three nursing units.

"Due to the risks associated with transmission of the virus, admissions will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis depending on each patient's condition and limited to cases where admission is required," the release said.

An outbreak declaration means visits from a designated support person are suspended, except for patients at end-of-life, obstetrics, pediatrics and intensive care.

Patients with appointments can keep them, but the hospital will contact any patients whose appointments need to be rescheduled, the release said.

The emergency department remains open. The hospital will reduce the number of surgeries and prioritize urgent cases.

Oncology and hemodialysis services will continue. The hospital will also slow down professional services like physiotherapy and medical images. People who need blood work should only come to the hospital "where their bloodwork cannot wait," the release said.

MyHealthNB access limited this weekend

The proof-of-vaccination section of the MyHealthNB website will be down from 11 p.m. on Friday until Monday.

The outage is due to a "necessary system upgrade," the news release said.

"There will be a delay or limited access in displaying new immunization records and proof of vaccination documents."

People are able to download or print their proof of vaccination anytime before 11 p.m. on Friday, and after the site is back up Monday.

The release said people would still be able to access PCR test results through MyHealthNB.

First day of Level 3

New Brunswick entered Level 3 of its Winter Action Plan, the most restrictive level, Friday at 11:59 p.m.

Under Level 3:

  • Social gatherings are limited to single household bubbles.
  • No public gatherings are permitted.
  • Restaurants are limited to drive-thru, takeout and deliveries only.
  • Non-essential retail will remain at Level 2 restrictions, which include operating at 50 per cent capacity and with physical distancing measures in place.
  • Gyms, salons, spas and entertainment centres are closed.
  • Faith services are allowed only outdoors, virtually, or in-car.
  • Organized team sports are prohibited from games, competition and practice with people outside of a household bubble.

In addition, public schools have extended at-home learning for students until Jan. 31.

Premier Blaine Higgs previously said the province will stay in this level for 16 days, until Jan. 31. The goal is to reduce spread so fewer health-care workers have to be in isolation.

The transition to Level 3 was partly initiated when the province had 100 people in hospital because of COVID-19.

now