New Brunswick

Cases of mysterious neurological disease rise to 47

There are now 47 cases of a mysterious neurological disease that's been identified in a cluster of individuals living in the northeastern and southeastern parts of New Brunswick.

Website offering regular updates on disease to be launched in coming days, Department of Health says

There are now 47 cases of a mysterious neurological disease of unknown origin reported in New Brunswick, up from 44 earlier this month. (Stefan Wermuth/Reuters file photo)

The government of New Brunswick says there are now 47 cases of a mysterious neurological disease, for which experts are still trying to figure out a source.

As of last Thursday, there have been 37 confirmed and 10 suspected cases of "a neurological syndrome of unknown cause," Bruce Macfarlane, spokesperson for the Department of Health, said in an email Monday.

That brings the number of cases up from 44. The province last reported a new case in early April.

There have been six deaths caused by the disease, with no new deaths reported Monday.

Macfarlane said the province is collaborating with local and national subject matter experts and health-care providers to investigate the individuals showing signs and symptoms of the syndrome.

"At this time, the investigation is active and ongoing to determine if there are similarities among the reported cases that can identify potential causes for this syndrome, and to help identify possible strategies for prevention.

"The investigation team is exploring all potential causes including food, environmental and animal exposures."

Macfarlane said most of the cases are in people who were living in areas around Moncton and on the Acadian Peninsula.

"However, it is unknown at this stage of our investigation whether geographic area is linked to the neurological condition and related symptoms" he said.

The disease cluster was first reported on in March, when Radio-Canada obtained a memo from Public Health to medical professionals.

The March 5 memo noted that 43 cases of the disease had been identified so far, and that five people had died.

Tests done on the patients have so far ruled out Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and other prion diseases, and scientists are looking into the possibility that this is an entirely new disease, possibly caused by an environmental toxin.

The lack of communication from the provincial government has prompted some families of victims to speak out, demanding more transparency regarding what's known about the disease, which was first observed in 2015.

Eleven more cases were identified in 2019, with 24 more in 2020, and the three new cases bringing 2021's total to 10 so far.

On April 7, the Department of Health acknowledged residents' "confusion and concern," and pledged to provide regular updates in the coming weeks via a website that was being developed.

Macfarlane on Monday said the website is in its finishing stages and "will be launched in the coming days."

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversationCreate account

Already have an account?

now