N.B. COVID-19 roundup: 3 new cases in province, hundreds quarantine in Campbellton region
Campbellton Mayor Stephanie Anglehart-Paulin says Public Safety is enforcing mask message
- 3 new cases confirmed
- Results of Saturday mass testing in Campbellton all negative
- 'People are going to get the point,' mayor says
- What to do if you have a symptom
New Brunswick reported three new confirmed cases of COVID-19 Monday and eight more people have recovered.
The total number of active cases in the province now stands at 60.
The new cases include two people in their 70s in the Fredericton region (Zone 3) whose illnesses are related to international travel, and a person in their 60s in the Campbellton region (Zone 5). That case is under investigation.
All three individuals are self-isolating, Public Health said in a news release.
"You can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family — except during a pandemic," Dr. Jennifer Russell, the chief medical officer of health, said in a statement.
"We want all New Brunswickers to keep their close contact numbers to a minimum. Help New Brunswick and the Atlantic bubble fight off the second wave. Let's work together but apart."
There are 17 active cases in the Moncton health region (Zone 1), three cases in the Fredericton region, and 40 cases in the Campbellton region.
Four people are in hospital, none in intensive care.
New Brunswick has had 331 cases of COVID-19 since the pandemic began in March. Of those, 265 people have recovered and six have died.
A total of 98,251 COVID-19 tests have been conducted so far, including 1,504 on Sunday.
Results of Saturday mass testing in Campbellton all negative
All of the COVID-19 tests conducted Saturday at the Memorial Civic Centre in Campbellton came back negative, according to Dr. Jennifer Russell, the province's chief medical officer of health.
Mass testing was offered over the weekend to people in the Campbellton region (Zone 5) who have no symptoms.
About 2,500 people were tested over the two days in Campbellton and Dalhousie, where schools are among the places that have seen COVID-19 cases during an outbreak that began more than two weeks ago.
Roughly 1,300 people were tested Saturday, Public Health had said.
As of Monday night, the results of the tests conducted Sunday at the Inch Arran Arena in Dalhousie were not yet publicly available.
The tests are still being analyzed, Russell. "We hope that we will have all the results either tonight [Monday] or tomorrow morning [Tuesday]."
Tests take 24 to 48 hours to process at the microbiology laboratory at the Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont University Hospital Centre in Moncton, Public Health has said.
Campbellton Mayor Anglehart-Paulin said she was happy with the number of people who took part in the mass testing.
"That's almost 10 per cent of the population and that's what [Public Health] wanted," she said.
'People are going to get the point'
Campbellton Mayor Stephanie Anglehart-Paulin says she hopes the support shown by Public Health and the enforcement by Public Safety in Zone 5 over the weekend sends the necessary message about COVID-19 to those who need it.
"We must have 50 vehicles in town stopping and fining people with no masks, so people are going to get the point."
But the mayor said the enforcement is needed so COVID-19 doesn't continue to spread even if it's only about nine per cent of the population not complying.
"Some aren't taking it well."
Anglehart-Paulin said the contact tracing revealed each person contacted had 20 contacts.
"In a region of 25,000 there were over 400 in quarantine. That's a big number."
She said she thinks people finally understand.
"I think they finally seen that it was community spread."
Residents in Zone 5 have been asked to limit their contacts to a single-household bubble, plus a caregiver or member of their immediate family.
The mayor said she didn't personally know the person whose death was one of the two announced Sunday by Public Health but knows people who did.
"So, you know, that's how we're connected," she explained of the close connections in the region.
It was the second death in Zone 5 during this latest outbreak. The death of Rheal Vautour, who was in his 70s, was announced last Wednesday.
And while Anglehart-Paulin is telling people in the city to follow the rules, so the region can move on to the less restrictive yellow phase, she said some of the restrictions now being applied don't make sense.
"There are some rules that are a little out of whack. Like I have no idea why I can't get a haircut, but there are certain establishments that are still open that you can have women dancing in front of you."
Anglehart-Paulin said she hopes Premier Blaine Higgs follows through on his offer to listen to feedback.
But she said she will continue to offer encouragement to those who need to hear it.
"We got through this in June with no knowledge and no understanding like we have today. We're going to get through this. It's 14 days of don't move around too much."
Anglehart-Paulin said if people comply then families will be able to enjoy Christmas.
"Otherwise it's going to go to the middle of November and then it's going to go to the middle of December. And the next thing we know will be in the middle of January."
What to do if you have a symptom
People concerned they might have COVID-19 symptoms can take a self-assessment test on the government website at gnb.ca.
Public Health says symptoms shown by people with COVID-19 have included: a fever above 38 C, a new cough or worsening chronic cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache, new onset of fatigue, new onset of muscle pain, diarrhea, loss of sense of taste or smell, and difficulty breathing.
In children, symptoms have also included purple markings on the fingers and toes.
People with one of those symptoms should:
Stay at home.
Call Tele-Care 811 or their doctor.
Describe symptoms and travel history.
With files from Information Morning Moncton and Radio-Canada