Moncton apartment fire sends 2 to hospital
1 cat was rescued during the blaze, while a dog died in the fire
Two people were hospitalized for smoke inhalation after an early morning apartment building fire on MacAleese Lane Thursday.
The Moncton Fire Department was called to the blaze that extensively damaged the 12-unit building around 4:30 a.m.
Charlie Melanson, acting platoon chief, said flames were visible from the basement to the roof of the three-storey building when firefighters arrived.
Melanson said all residents were removed from the building.
A cat was rescued, but a dog died as a result of the fire.
The Red Cross reports it is assisting one man with emergency housing, food and clothing, and anticipate helping other tenants later in the day.
It said most tenants have found places to stay with family and friends.
The Moncton Fire Department said four fire trucks and a rescue vehicle where on site to fight the fire.
Melanson said the department managed to knock the fire down quickly.
According to the Red Cross, residents will be out of their homes until cleanup and repair can be completed.