New Brunswick

Moloney Electric workers in Sackville fear for job future

About 60 people at Moloney Electric in Sackville are out of work after the company closed its doors last month, citing a shortage of work and materials.

Layoff notices for 60 workers said 1-3 weeks, but no word after a month

Some of the laid-off employees at Moloney Electric are losing hope of the plant reopening and getting their jobs back. (Tori Weldon/CBC)

About 60 people at Moloney Electric in Sackville are out of work after the company closed its doors last month, citing a shortage of work and materials.

Moloney Electric started out in Sackville as Canadian General Electric in 1961. (Submitted)
Toronto-based president Rajiv Nargotra insists it's a temporary shutdown. Employees will be back on the job soon, he told CBC News on Wednesday.

But as the days pass with no updates, some laid-off workers such as Shawn Mitton are losing hope and considering leaving town.

In a small community like ours, they're all important.- Bob Berry, Sackville mayor

"Where I'm the only income for the household, it's a big hit," said Mitton, who's only eight years into his career with the company that makes transformers, which are shipped across North America.

Mitton said he's hoping to sell his house and "move on."

"If a new life in another city is what it needs to be, then that's what it needs to be," he said.

Sackville Mayor Bob Berry calls the plant shutdown "devastating."

"It really is," he said. "Whether it be three jobs, or 60 jobs, it doesn't matter. In a small community like ours, they're all important."

Moloney Electric makes pole top transformers, sold to NB Power, and also shipped across North America. (Submitted)
The plant, which has been in town since 1961, when it opened under the name Canada General Electric, has provided quality jobs with medical benefits and a pension — the kind of work that allows families to stay in a small town, said Berry.

The Feb. 26 layoff notice workers were given stated: "The plant layoff is expected to be, with the financial information known today, approximately one to three weeks."

Local union president and 23-year employee Mike Estabrooks, said they've heard nothing since then.

"And as far as you see in the building behind us, they've laid the office staff off too," he said, referring to the locked-up plant.

"As far as I've been told, the same things has happened at the Toronto plant," he added.


With files from Tori Weldon


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversationCreate account

Already have an account?