New Brunswick

Justin Bourque, Moncton shooting suspect, in police custody

Justin Bourque, suspected of killing three Mounties and wounding two others in shootings that put Moncton, N.B., under alert for two days, has been apprehended by RCMP. CBC is carrying LIVE an RCMP news conference, starting just after 8 a.m. AT, that will provide further details of the arrest.

'Justin came out with his hands up, and he said, "I'm done,"' eyewitness tells CBC News

Justin Bourque in custody: RAW

9 years ago
Duration 0:29
Video shows police taking suspected Moncton shooter into custody

Justin Bourque, the 24-year-old suspected of carrying out a shooting that left three Mounties dead and two others wounded, has been apprehended by RCMP in Moncton, N.B.

RCMP spokesman Paul Greene said Bourque was arrested at 12:10 a.m. AT Friday.

Moncton resident Michelle Thibodeau told CBC News and other media that Bourque was arrested in her backyard in the northwest part of the city where the shooting occurred and which had been on lockdown while the manhunt for the suspect was underway.

Police advised residents on Twitter soon after the arrest that they can now leave their homes and move freely. The City of Moncton tweeted that city services, including buses, will resume as usual Friday. Schools will remain closed. 

RCMP will hold a news conference to provide further details of the arrest at just after 8 a.m. AT in Moncton. The Canadian Press reported that Bourque is being held at the RCMP detachment in Sackville, N.B. 

'I'm done,' suspected shooter reported as saying

Thibodeau said she saw police officers head into a patch of trees in her yard and heard five minutes of screaming. 

“Justin came out with his hands up, and he said, 'I'm done,'" she told CBC News. 

She said he was wearing the same clothes he had been seen in Wednesday and was dripping wet, likely from the rain that was falling in Moncton at the time. 

Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc reflected on Friday morning about the impact of the last two days on his city.

"Moncton has always been known as a very resilient community. We have been through hard times before, not like this mind you, but I really do think the community will come together and we will find our way through this," he said.

The mayor said it is important to support the police and the family members who lost loved ones in the shooting. He said the relief of Bourque's overnight arrest will soon be taken over by the grief for the family members.

"I think it is going to be a bittersweet day. I think there will be a lot of sadness," LeBlanc said.

"I think the happiness and elation over the arrest of the suspect will continue but I think as time goes on, I think that people will realize how the families and all of us will have to come to terms with the terrible loss that this has caused us."

New Brunswick Premier David Alward said his thoughts were with the families who lost loved ones.

"These events have been among the most shocking and heart-wrenching moments in my service as premier," he said. 

One of the slain officers was identified as Dave Ross, a Quebec-born Mountie who had lived in New Brunswick for seven years. Ross was a married father of a 19-month-old with another baby on the way, his mother-in-law told CBC News.

"To the families, friends and colleagues of the fallen officers, although we cannot know the full impact of your suffering, your fellow New Brunswickers share the horror and pain. You are not alone in your grief. Our hearts, minds and prayers are with you during the difficult days ahead," Alward said. 

1 of 2 wounded officers released from hospital

Alward asked people to also remember the two officers who were wounded and all of the emergency services staff who helped during the shooting and subsequent manhunt. The two wounded officers underwent surgery Thursday. One was released, and the other remains hospitalized.

"When faced with tragedy, it is normal to feel bewildered and shocked," Alward said. "It is important to reach out to our family, friends and neighbours to work through the grief and stress that these events have caused, and encourage people to express themselves."

"Children, in particular, may have difficulties expressing their feelings and confusion."

He added that those feeling overwhelmed can get help in New Brunswick by dialing 811. People can send their condolences to the RCMP at

'Absolutely surreal'

A feeling of relief swept through the city. Resident Joey Stokes went to the police headquarters to show his support.

"Our city's safe again," he said. "We live in Moncton. We're pretty tight-knit, everybody's friendly. To have this happen here, it's absolutely surreal."

Matthew Bachman also went to the police station on a wet, cold night.

“It just felt like we should go out and show our support,” Bachman said. “I was just glued to the TV the last two days.”

Police, including tactical officers, began their manhunt for the suspected shooter Wednesday at around 7:30 p.m. AT after responding to a call about a man walking along a road with what looked to be a gun.

After the call, shots were fired and officers called for backup.

The RCMP said police officers from across the country were brought in to help arrest the suspect.

With files from The Canadian Press