New Brunswick

Judge grants defence more time to review disclosure in Fredericton shooting case

Judge Julian Dickson granted the defence for Matthew Vincent Raymond, accused of killing four people in early August, until Oct. 22 to review the disclosure as Raymond remains in custody.

Judge Julian Dickson granted the defence until Oct. 22

Matthew Vincent Raymond, charged with four counts of first-degree murder, arrives at provincial court in Fredericton on Monday. Two city police officers were among four people who died in a shooting in a residential area on the city's north side. (Andrew Vaughan/Canadian Press)

The defence for Matthew Vincent Raymond, accused of killing two police officers and two civilians in Fredericton, was granted until Oct. 22 by Judge Julian Dickson to review the disclosure. 

Raymond, who has a near-white beard, appeared in provincial court Monday and then remanded in custody. 

It marked the 48-year-old's second appearance since his arrest Aug. 10, the day of the shootings at an apartment complex. He is charged with four counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of:

  • Fredericton constables Robb Costello, 45, and Sara Burns, 43.
  • Donnie Robichaud, 42, and Bobbie Lee Wright, 32.

Police have said all four were hit by bullets from a long gun fired from the third storey of an apartment building on Brookside Drive on the city's north side.

Defence lawyer Nathan Gorham suggested during Raymond's first appearance on Aug. 24 that it was unlikely his client would enter a plea at Monday's hearing, which focused on disclosure and the next steps in the court process.

At the time, Gorham said he didn't expect to receive "much of a disclosure" during this court appearance, as Crown prosecutor Darlene Blunston requested returning to court in early October so she could prepare the "large" disclosure of evidence.

Defence lawyer Nathan Gorham said he still expects there will be a not guilty plea sometime in the future for his client, Matthew Raymond. (Ed Hunter/CBC)

After Monday's appearance, Gorham told reporters outside the Fredericton courthouse that at the next appearance a meaningful decision would be made. 

"I still expect there will be a not guilty plea sometime in the future," he said.

"What I will tell you is that we received some information from the prosecution. We're in the process of investigating the case further. We're reviewing the disclosure. And then making some meaningful decisions on how the case will proceed."

More than 50 people, including the families of Robichaud and Wright, were at the first court appearance.

Gorham, who practises in Saint John and Toronto, was appointed by the government. 

"I will honestly assist my client, and I will help him obtain what the law offers for him," he said earlier. "At the same time, however, I can feel a sense of sadness and a sense of tragedy here." 

Officers responded to gunfire

Victims of the Aug. 10 shooting, left to right: Const. Robb Costello, 45, Const. Sara Burns, 43, Donnie Robichaud, 42; Bobbie Lee Wright, 32.

Last month, Fredericton police responded to reports of gunfire at the apartment complex at 7:10 a.m. local time.

Costello and Burns, the first officers to arrive at 237 Brookside Dr., Building C, were shot and killed trying to help two civilians later identified as Robichaud and Wright.

Raymond was arrested at the scene and taken to hospital with serious injuries after being shot in the abdomen by police, a court document revealed.

Following his release from hospital, Raymond was ​transferred to an undisclosed provincial jail.

With files from Colin McPhail, Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon, Elizabeth Fraser, Shane Fowler