New Brunswick

Fire leaves 7 displaced in Saint John

Fire caused significant damage to a west Saint John building that houses three families and a woodworking business early Wednesday morning.

Fire likely started by lit cigarette in garbage can, say police

Fire caused significant damage to a west Saint John building that houses three families and a woodworking business early Wednesday morning.

Seven people have been temporarily displaced.

Fire officials say it took about two hours to contain the fire at 641 Manawagonish Road.

It started at the back of the building at around 1 a.m.

Saint John police said it appears the fire was caused by a lit cigarette left in the garbage.

now