Fire at NBCC Saint John welding building forces evacuation
Spark may have ignited filters in ventilation system, platoon chief says
The welding building at the New Brunswick Community College in Saint John was evacuated on Thursday morning, due to a fire.
Crews were called to the college on Grandview Avenue just after 11:30 a.m.
Some filters in the ventilation system caught fire, said Platoon Chief Kevin Forrest.
Firefighters quickly extinguished and removed the filters and ventilated the area, said Deputy Chief Joe Armstong.
Damage was minimal, he said, noting the building is designed to deal with the potential hazards that come with welding. It is a large steel structure, isolated from the rest of the college.
But natural gas and propane on site did pose a risk, and the fire filled the building with smoke, forcing the evacuation, he said.
An estimated 30 students were affected.
Police blocked access to the building while firefighters battled the blaze.
Sixteen firefighters, a platoon chief and four pieces of apparatus responded to the scene.