Ex-scout leader David Wolfe's delayed sentencing upsets victim
Halifax man pleaded guilty to indecently assaulting 3 N.B. boys in 1960s
The delayed sentencing of a former New Brunswick scout leader on three sex-related charges dating back to the 1960s has left one of his victims disappointed.
David Wolfe, 68, who pleaded guilty last month to three counts of indecent assault involving young males,was scheduled to be sentenced in Moncton provincial court on Monday.
But his defence lawyer was sick and no one was there to represent Wolfe, who now lives in Halifax and was not present.
A new sentencing date will be set on Jan. 28.
Victim Richard Dutkiewicz, who attended court with his daughter, said he may not live long enough to see Wolfe sentenced.
Dutkiewicz said he has stage four cancer and doesn't know how long he can expect to live.
There is some consolation, however, in that Wolfe is on record as being guilty of the three assaults, which took place between January 1964 and June 1967 in the Moncton area, Dutkiewicz said.
The charges against Wolfe came after Dutkiewicz went public with his story in 2011.
Dutkiewicz said he was repeatedly assaulted by Wolfe in the mid-1960s, when Wolfe was an assistant scout master. He went to police after he saw an investigative series by CBC News on sexual abuse within Scouts Canada.
Wolfe's two other victims came forward a short time later.
The investigation by CBC-TV's the fifth estate revealed that scout leaders abused about 340 children from the 1940s until present.
About two months after the documentary aired, Scouts Canada issued a blanket apology to any former scouts who had been sexually abused by the group's volunteer leaders.
The youth organization also announced it had hired an outside company to review its past records and appointed an expert panel to examine whether its current child protection policies are working.