Ex-Mountie facing cocaine charges remains behind bars until March
Const. Albert Michelin, arrested on Nov. 29, waives bail hearing again
A former New Brunswick Mountie facing cocaine charges, who has been in custody for almost three months, will remain behind bars until at least March.
Albert Michelin, 50, made a brief appearance in Moncton provincial court on Tuesday, but once again his lawyer temporarily waived his right to a bail hearing.
Alison Menard says she needs more disclosure before the case can proceed and requested an adjournment until March 18.
Michelin, a 23-year veteran of the RCMP, is charged with one count of trafficking cocaine and two counts of possession of cocaine for the purpose of trafficking.
He was suspended with pay at the time of his arrest due to unrelated code of conduct investigations, but has since resigned, RCMP officials confirmed on Tuesday.
Michelin has not entered any pleas, but previously elected to be tried by judge alone.
He sat quietly in the prisoner's box, dressed in a plaid shirt, as his lawyer told the court she's still receiving information about the case.
This is the fifth time Michelin's bail hearing has been set over. He has been in custody since Nov. 29.
He was arrested in Moncton following an 11-month investigation by the RCMP's federal operations unit in Nova Scotia.
Michelin was last stationed as a constable in Tobique First Nation. He previously served in Labrador for 18 years.