New Brunswick

Lobster fishing season in northern New Brunswick delayed 2 weeks

The lobster fishing season in lobster fishing area 23, which runs from Miramichi Bay to Chaleur Bay, has been delayed by two weeks because of concerns related to COVID-19.

Season will open May 15

Lobster fishermen will have to wait until May 15 to set their traps after the Department of Fisheries and Oceans announced a two week delay to the start of the 2020 season. (Gail Harding/CBC)

The lobster season in Lobster Fishing Area 23, which runs from Miramichi Bay to Chaleur Bay in northeastern New Brunswick, has been delayed by two weeks because of the impact of COVID-19 on the fishery. 

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans issued a notice Wednesday morning to fishermen advising them of the delay. It affects about 665 licensed lobster harvesters in four zones. 

The season, which was to open on May 1, will now open on May 15 at 6 a.m. and close on June 30. The decision also affects the lobster fisheries in LFAs 24 and 26 in the north shore of P.E.I. as well as part of the Northumberland Strait.

"The additional time will enable processing plants to prepare their facilities and workforce for the upcoming season, and allow everyone across the industry to put in place the necessary health and safety measures in response to COVID-19," said Fisheries Minister Bernadette Jordan in an emailed statement. 

A two week delay has been announced for Lobster Fishing Area 23 in northeastern New Brunswick. (Submitted by Department of Fisheries and Oceans)

No extension of the season has been approved but DFO says the possibility is not off the table.

"At this time DFO is focused on ensuring the industry has a smooth and safe start to the 2020 season, and no decisions have been made to date regarding season extensions," Jordan said. 

DFO said requests for season extensions will be considered at a later date and will be based on science and the health and conservation of the stock in mind.

Maritime Fishermen's Union president, Gaetan Robichaud said the delay is what most fishermen wanted when surveyed over the past few weeks and a request was made to DFO to delay it until May 15. 

P.E.I. lobster fishermen in LFAs 24 and 26 recommended two different dates - May 6 and May 13 but DFO said it decided to have a shared opening date for all three zones "helping ensure continued cooperation across the industry" a release from DFO said. 

Financial help requested

Robichaud said they are now waiting to see if an aid package will be announced to assist fishermen with interest free loans to help with expenses as fishermen prepared not knowing if the season would go ahead or be delayed.

He said they also are wondering if access to the wage subsidy for employees would be adapted to the fishing industry and if there would be aid for new entrants to the fishing industry. 

"All the aid that's been announced by the government of Canada to enterprises...it's not adapted to the seasonal fishery so we've been working very hard on that over the past few weeks. We need an aid package that's going to bring us to the next season." 

With uncertainty around how much buyers will purchase, how much processors can process in the plants, and the state of the market, Robichaud said they need to know some financial aid will be available.

"They're really, really worried," said Robichaud of the MFU members. "We're worried about the quantity of lobster we're going to be able to bring to the wharves, are we going to be able to sell to our buyers, are we going to have daily limits?" 

A fishermen himself in Neguac, he said they haven't heard much from the processing industry. 

"We don't have much information on the price."  

DFO has previously said it has asked for specific support for the fishing sector. 

Fishermen worried

The lobster fishery off the coast of northern New Brunswick has been delayed from May 1 to May 15. (Kayla Hounsell/CBC)

Processed lobster is usually sold to casinos, cruise lines and restaurants but many of those places are not operating during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

"Fishermen are really worried about how long they are going to be able to fish. It's all questions that we don't have answers to and we need that." 

Robichaud said they are waiting to hear from WorksafeNB for the guidelines on how they will operate safely on the boats and how the processing plants will operate. Even limiting access to the wharves is something that has to be considered.

The two weeks will give them to prepare, he added.

 

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversationCreate account

Already have an account?

now