New Brunswick

Moncton man faces 5 new charges in child exploitation case

A 25-year-old Moncton man now faces an additional five charges related to child pornography and exploitation in a case that involves victims around the world.

Thousands of boys around the world victimized by man who recorded them engaged in sex act, allege RCMP

The accused, who previously pleaded guilty to producing child pornography, sexual assault, and making child pornography available, is scheduled to return to court on April 4 for a sentencing hearing on those charges . (CBC)

A 25-year-old Moncton man now faces an additional five charges related to child pornography and exploitation in a case that involves victims around the world.

The new charges were laid in Moncton provincial court Thursday.

The man, who can not be identified due to a publication ban, elected to be tried by judge alone on the new charges.

The new charges are:

  • Making child pornography.
  • Extortion, by threatening to distribute nude videos of victims to their friends and parents.
  • Child luring for purposes of child pornography through use of a computer.
  • Making sexually explicit material available to a child.
  • Making child pornography available.

RCMP Sgt. Jean-Marc Paré said there are multiple victims for each of the new charges, with up to 40 victims per charge in some cases.

The man had previously pleaded guilty to producing child pornography, sexual assault, and making child pornography available.

The man is scheduled to appear in court again on those charges on April 4.

RCMP allege the man posed online as a teenage girl and lured boys as young as 10 years old into removing their clothing and initiating a sexual act that the man then recorded and distributed online.

RCMP Sgt. Jean-Marc Paré said 55 children in New Brunswick have been saved from internet predators since 2006. (Tori Weldon/CBC)
Paré said most of the thousands of victims were boys between the ages of 10 and 16 years.

There were no known victims in New Brunswick and one in Canada, said Paré.

Victims have been identified in Canada, the United States, England, Ireland, Scotland, the Netherlands, Australia, Russia, Ukraine, Belgium, Norway, Germany, France and Latvia, say RCMP.

There may be more than 2,000 victims worldwide, with some victims not even aware they have been victimized, say RCMP.

With files from Tori Weldon