Burton house fire a 'heartbreaking' loss
An investigation continued Monday into a house fire that killed a father and daughter in Burton, N.B.
A 61-year-old woman and her 88-year-old father died in Sunday's fire on Highway 102, near Oromocto. Their names have not been released.
Charles Kennedy saw the house fire while he was walking his dog.
"You could see flames and a lot of smoke," he told CBC News.
Kennedy said the victims were well known in the community. He called the deadly fire a "heartbreaking" loss.
Oromocto fire Chief Jody Price said the fire was first spotted at about 8 a.m. Sunday, though it could have been smouldering for some time.
It took firefighters several hours to get the blaze under control. The smell of smoke still lingered Monday afternoon.
Price said it was probably one of the worst blazes the Oromocto fire department has seen in 25 years.
The fire has been deemed an accident. Price said it appears the woman was smoking in bed.
"It's quite tragic because everything else had been done right in this house," he said. "There were smoke detectors in place."
Price said it's likely the woman was sleeping when the fire broke out and was overcome by smoke. Her father, on the other hand, tried to get out of the house but couldn't.
"He had some pre-existing medical conditions that probably prevented him from escaping," Price said.
Autopsies were scheduled for Monday.