New Brunswick

Bernard Lord won't seek federal Conservative leadership

Former New Brunswick premier Bernard Lord says he won’t seek the leadership of the federal Conservative Party. “The answer is no,” Lord told CBC News Wednesday afternoon.

Former New Brunswick premier had been suggested as Harper replacement

Bernard Lord is currently president of the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association. (Adrian Wyld/Canadian Press)

Former premier Bernard Lord says he won't seek the leadership of the federal Conservative Party.

"The answer is no," Lord told CBC News Wednesday afternoon.

The former premier's name surfaced in newspaper columns and on call-in shows after Stephen Harper announced he was resigning following Monday's election defeat.

Lord was courted to run for the federal PC leadership in 2002, and then for the leadership of the newly created Conservative Party in 2003.

"I appreciate all the people who still think well of me," said Lord, but he said he has no intention of joining the race.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.