Montreal

Woman in Montreal apartment fire dies

A 20-year-old woman dies and 10 other people are in hospital after a fire in an apartment building in Montreal's Côte-des-Neiges neighbourhood.

Paramedic describes 'panicked situation' at 17-unit building

Montreal firefighters battle the Côte-des-Neiges fire in Montreal early Wednesday. (CBC)

Latest

  • 20-year-old fire victim dies in hospital Wednesday afternoon

A 20-year-old woman is dead and 10 other people are in hospital after a fire in an apartment building in Montreal's Côte-des-Neiges neighbourhood early Wednesday.

Two women were revived from cardiac arrest when emergency crews reached the fire at 2500 Van Horne Ave., but one died in hospital Wednesday afternoon. The other woman, a 30-year-old, remained in critical condition.

The injured also included two children, aged 8 and 9.

"It was kind of a panicked situation for the citizens when paramedics arrived," paramedic Eric Berry said. "Everyone was trying to get out and paramedics assessed immediately the patients that were coming from the building."

Firefighters said the building's smoke alarm cut out shortly after the fire started at about 2 a.m., and many people didn't hear it.

"The investigation was transferred earlier to Montreal police department, the section for fire crimes, because we want to clarify what are the causes of this fire, also because of the …[people] who are fighting for their life right now," Const. Simon Delorme said.

About 40 people who lived in the 17-unit building were forced out.

"I woke up around 2 [a.m.] with the fire department around the door, and I saw several people running out and screaming out loud to help them," said Bajee Baskararasa, who lives in the building next door. "I tried to help as much people as I could, just to get outside the building."

Police said the fire was caused by an electrical problem and started in the basement.

It was quickly brought under control but filled the building with smoke. Most of the injured suffered smoke inhalation.

now