West Island man with history of incidents involving children pleads guilty to indecent assault

Howard Krupp, a Pierrefonds man picked up in 2013 for allegedly stalking schoolchildren in Kirkland, pleaded guilty last week to indecent assault of a minor in a case dating back to the 1970s.

Howard Krupp's name added to national sex offender registry after conviction in case dating back to 1970s

Howard Krupp pleaded guilty last week to indecent assault of a minor in a case dating back to the 1970s. (SPVM)

Howard Krupp, a Pierrefonds man with a history of incidents involving children, will see his name added to the national sex offender registry after pleading guilty last week to indecent assault of a minor in a case dating back to the 1970s.

The victim only came forward in 2014, after Krupp, 71, was arrested in another case for allegedly stalking schoolchildren in Kirkland. 

Police put out a call at the time for other potential victims of Krupp to get in touch with authorities.

The victim was a child who knew Krupp in the 1970s, when the offence occurred.

Krupp was fighting the charges, and his trial was to begin this week, but he quietly pleaded guilty in a hearing last week before Quebec court Judge Serge Delisle.

Krupp admitted to touching the boy's penis and forcing the boy to touch his in two incidents that occurred between 1971 and 1976.

Previous child porn conviction

Krupp pleaded guilty in 2001 to possession of child pornography, after police found thousands of images of young boys on his computer.

He served an 18-month sentence in the community and eventually received a pardon.

Krupp's pardon was revoked in 2014, after his 2013 arrest in Kirkland when he was spotted approaching and speaking to children as they got off their school bus.
A concerned parent snapped this picture — allegedly of Krupp — after he was spotted hanging around a school bus stop in Kirkland in 2013. (Facebook)

He was charged with criminal harassment in relation to that incident. That charge was eventually withdrawn after Krupp agreed to sign a peace bond with certain conditions, including staying away from children.

It was after that, in March 2014, that the victim in this case, who cannot be identified, came forward.

Krupp tried to have charges tossed

At a hearing in November, Krupp's lawyer, David Linetsky, made a request to have the charges against Krupp stayed based on the so-called Jordan ruling, arguing there was an unreasonable delay in getting the case to trial.

Krupp testified at the hearing, saying that he had lost income while waiting for the case to come to trial.

"I have suffered from stress, anxiety and insomnia which have lessened my ability to handle projects," Krupp testified.

He estimated that he lost 30 per cent of his revenue as an information technology consultant since the charges came to light.

'You deserve to be vandalized'

Krupp also testified at the November hearing that his house in Pierrefonds was vandalized in July 2015.

"A group of young adults vandalized my home. They broke flower pots in the front. They egged the house and dumped garbage," Krupp testified.  He said his house had never been vandalized before that.

Krupp said he reported the incident to police and shared security camera footage with investigators, who told him there was nothing they could do because they couldn't identify the individuals on the tape.

Krupp said two weeks after the vandalism, he saw one of the people he recognized from the security footage while walking down the street.  He said he called 911 immediately, but the officer who eventually responded was not helpful.

"He said to me: 'We're not going to help you. We don't want you here. You deserve to be vandalized,'" Krupp testified.

The judge ultimately rejected Krupp's request to have the latest charges stayed.

Krupp was sentenced last week immediately after his guilty plea, in a deal his lawyer reached with the Crown prosecutor.

He'll be subject to three years' probation, a $3,000 fine and 70 hours of community service.

Krupp will also see his name added to the national sex offender registry.

That means he'll have to check in with police once a year for the next 20 years, as well as any time he moves, leaves the country or changes jobs.